CARISMA Final Conference, Brussels
"Realising the Potential for Climate Change Mitigation Options - Implementing the Paris Agreement in Europe and beyond"
- CEPS Conference Room, Place du Congrès 1, Brussels
- Tuesday 6 February 2018
- 10:00 - 17:00
This conference is organised by the EU H2020 funded project "CARISMA" on innovation for climate change mitigation. CARISMA supports the development and diffusion of options for climate change mitigation, both technologies and practices to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Climate-friendly technologies and practices often already exist, yet for several reasons they do not enter the mainstream. Decision-makers in the public and private sectors alike are, for a variety of reasons, inclined to continue the high-carbon status quo. This holds for already developed technologies and practices, as well as for technologies and practices that are untested or in the research phase.
Through extensive engagement with the policy-making and business communities, CARISMA has focused on:
- Research and innovation, including international cooperation, around climate change mitigation options;
- Economic costs, social aspects and environmental benefits of climate change mitigation options;
- Existing mitigation policies and how these interact with other environmental and climate policies;
- How the success of policies for climate change mitigation depends on their socio-economic implementation contexts and policy implementation cycles.
At this Final Conference, the outcomes of the project are presented against the backdrop of an increasing need to scale up mitigation options for realising the goals of the Paris Agreement. In practice, scaling up of (technology) options is often hindered by aspects such as: sector- or economy-wide costs or welfare impacts, public resistance or insufficient consideration of local context factors. At the conference, these aspects, with recommendations from CARISMA on how to address these, will be discussed with practitioners from the public and private sector.
Speakers at the conference will include among others Maria van der Hoeven (vice-chair of the High-level Panel of the European Decarbonisation Pathways Initiative), Andrea Tilche (DG Research and Innovation, European Commission), Corrado Topi (GreenEcoNet green SME initiative), and Heleen de Coninck (CARISMA project coordinator). The conference agenda will be shared via this page in due course.
For online registration, please click here.